What is an Interlibrary Loan (ILLO)?
Interlibrary loan is a system of borrowing and lending of books between library systems across Canada.
What is a Self Serve Interlibrary Loan?
It is the DIY interface accessible by internet to the provincial interlibrary loan system to which the London Public Library belongs.
This system allows you to search the holdings of other Ontario Public Libraries when you can’t find what you need at London Public Library.
You can search this database from any computer with an internet connection.
This service is available for people with a valid London Public Library card.
You cannot request:
- Items already available at London Public Library.
- Items published less than a year.
- Audio visual materials (CDs; DVDs; or cassettes).
- Electronic materials (e-books)
- Microforms. Please request through Microform Request Form.
London Public Library ILLO Terms and Conditions
- I have a valid up to date London Public Library card.
- I will not request materials that are part of the London Public Library collection, even if they are in high demand or reference.
- I give London Public Library permission to email with any questions or concerns regarding my interlibrary loans.
You cannot request through Interlibrary Loans:
- Materials already available (or on order) at London Public Library.
- Materials published less than a year.
- Audio visual items (CD’s; DVD's; or cassettes).
- Electronic items (e-books)
- Microform(which you may request through Microform Request Form.)
Please note that:
- Only 10 ILLO items can be active at the same time.
- Your interlibrary loan items are included in your London Public Library limit. (There is an overall limit of 60 items per library card)
- Loss of Interlibrary loan borrowing privileges will result if you do not follow the terms & conditions.
- You will receive an email within 3 business days with your new password.
- Read the terms and conditions above and the frequently asked questions below.
- Use the form at the very bottom of this page to register for self serve Interlibrary Loan using the form at the bottom of this page.
Please check the London Public Library catalogue to see if we own the item, before proceeding.
Instructions on How to Use ILLO Self Serve
- Go to the https://info.vdxhost.com/ and select Language.
- Click Sign in
- Enter your User I.D. (Your library card barcode without the spaces.)
- Enter your User Password. (Assigned by London Public Library after you have registered for ILLO.)
- Select location as: London Public Library
- Select standard or advanced search
- For your first search profile, select SOLS Thames North
- Enter keywords and select Go!
- No matches from the first profile? Select a different profile and try again. Keep trying until you have tried all of the profiles.
- Click on Details to find the item you want
- Look for an ISBN in the record. The network uses the ISBN # to search other libraries. Without this your request will be considerably delayed.
- Click Get it!
- Add special instructions in the title field if necessary i.e. Large Print, Specific Volume or edition.
- Complete the form by selecting your preferred Pickup Location from the drop down menu at the bottom of the form.
- Click Request.
- You can view your requests at any time using the My Requests link.
D. Sign Out.
E. Wait for notification from London Public Library
When the requested material displays as received, please do not immediately go to your library to pick it up. Wait until the London Public Library notifies you that it is available. Received does not mean the item is available to be picked up.
Interlibrary Loan FAQs
This varies depending on the availability of the requested item. Items can take 4-6 weeks to arrive.
You must first have a valid library London Public Library card. To register, fill out our Self Serve Interlibrary Registration Form below.
Click HERE to sign in with a User ID (your library card number with no spaces), password (given to you by our interlibrary loan staff, and Authentication Service (London Public Library). Remember, you must registered for interlibrary loan self service prior to making your own interlibrary loan request.
Choose the Instructions tab from the top of this page to find detailed instructions on using the interlibrary loan service.
Check the spelling of the information you have given. Have you tried all of the different profiles? If you still have not found what you are looking for, there is a Create Request section on the left hand side of the screen. Enter title, author and as much other information as possible, if you have no other information tell us where you found the title and author.
You can view the status of your request by looking at My Requests on the side-bar of the page to know when it has been processed, shipped, and received. Remember received does not mean the item is available to be picked up. Please wait until you are notified by London Public Library.
When the interlibrary loan has arrived a hold will be placed on your card and you will be notified the same way you receive notifications for London Public Library items. Your phone number and email address can be updated through the My Account option on the London Public Library website.
If you are unable to pick up their materials within the hold period, you must contact the Pickup location at 519-661-4600 before your hold expires to request an extension. The item will be returned to the owning library the day after your hold expires.
If the interlibrary loan has a green flasher/sleeve/band, you can renew the book the same way you renew other London Public Library items. Due dates are subject to loaning library’s policies.
If using the Self Serve interlibrary loan you can look at My Requests on the side bar of the page. If in the title are it says, *See Requests notes hit the word Details in blue to the right of the screen. Here is where you can see that your request has been cancelled and the reason why.
If you are not using the Self Serve interlibrary loan service a message will be placed on your library record when an interlibrary loan has been cancelled with the reason it was cancelled. You can find out the reason when you sign out books at the circulation desk or you can call the library at (519)-661-5100 ext 5112 (Mon-Fri 9-5pm). After hours, please call (519)-551-5131.
The costs of shipping and other library’s fees are not passed on to you.
Loan periods vary in length depending on the loaning library, but ILLO materials can usually be borrowed for 3 weeks. Some interlibrary loan items must be used in the library.
If you are using the Self Serve you can only have 10 ILLO items active at the same time. Your interlibrary loan items are included in your London Public Library limit.
- Any material that London Public Library has even if it is reference, or signed out with many holds on it.
- Books that are published within the past 12 months.
- Reference material (directories, encyclopedias, etc.);
- electronic resources (e-books or e-magazines (including articles from e-magazines)
- Audio visual materials except National Film board items.
- Regular print items if we have the large print available.
If you get a new library card, you must be re-registered for a new interlibrary loan account. Your interlibrary loans that you currently have ordered will still go to you when they come in. With the new account you will no longer be able to monitor the existing requests. Please do not submit a new request for them.
Contact the interlibrary loan staff at email@example.com
Please give your name and library barcode number and we will reset your password. When we have reset your password, we will send you an email with your new password.
Telephone: 519-661-5100 Ext. 5112; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org